Admission to the BA/MA program in European Studies
Candidates should contact the Director of European Studies, Prof. Janet Horne with any questions about how to apply to this program.
Application deadline: May 1st of the 3rd year of undergraduate study (2nd year of undergraduate study for students with advanced standing).
Required application documents:
1) Please complete an on-line application for "Masters Promotion" here: https://applycentral.virginia.edu/apply/.
- (N.B. This on-line form is an abbreviated application - personal background information etc. The remaining elements, described below, should be submitted directly to the Director of European Studies at 'email@example.com.')
2) Prepare a single PDF file, including the applicant’s last name in the title, with the following:
- a 1-2 page statement of purpose outlining your interests in European Studies and motivation for pursuing the MA;
- a transcript of your undergraduate work so far at UVA
- a writing sample (in English), such as a course paper or other essay, preferably on a Europe-related topic.
- The writing sample should be a course paper or other essay that demonstrates the student’s ability to frame a scholarly argument, discuss writings by others, and develop and support ideas with appropriate examples.
The completed PDF file, should be sent directly from the recommender to the Director of European Studies via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Request two letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic work at UVA. These should be sent directly from the recommender to the Director of European Studies via E-mail: email@example.com.
Admission to the MA program in European Studies
Application deadline: May 1st for matriculation the following fall.
Click here to access all relevant information about the on-line application process.
Click here to initiate an on-line application and create an account in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Admissions System
Click here to see GSAS admission requirements
Applicant materials include:
- Application for admission
- A statement of purpose
- A writing sample (in English), preferably on a Europe-related topic
- The writing sample should be a course paper or other essay that demonstrates the student’s ability to frame a scholarly argument, discuss writings by others, and develop and support ideas with appropriate examples
- Standardized test scores
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), for international students
- Transcripts (from each postsecondary institution attended)
- Letters of recommendation (minimum of two)
- Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges (if applicable)
- Application Fee
Among the qualifications expected of applicants are:
- Must hold a B.A. or equivalent from an accredited university in the United States or abroad; or fufill requirements for BA/MA enrollment (For more information contact Professor Janet Horne, Director of European Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- A minimum GPA of 3.2 in undergraduate coursework
- GRE scores commensurate with historical averages in GSAS (approximately 1310 and for admitted students 1390)
- A minimum TOEFL score (all international students must submit TOEFL scores in addition to GRE scores)
- 90 for the internet-based TOEFL (with section minimums of 22 in speaking, 22 in writing, 23 in reading, and 23 in listening).
- 600 for the paper-based TOEFL; an IELTS score of 7.0 is also acceptable.
For information about tuition, fees, and financial aid, please see http://graduate.as.virginia.edu/tuition-and-health-premiums. During their required semester of study abroad, each student will be granted a $2,500 research and travel stipend. A very limited number of Teaching Assistantships may be available for students enrolled in the European Studies MA Program.
Information for Prospective Students
Graduate Life at UVA
Life in Charlottesville
- Food writer David Lebovitz recently visted Charlottesville. See what he had so say!
- Cville loves books, film, music, theater and so much more!