Admission to the MA program in European Studies
Application deadline: May 1st for matriculation the following fall.
Click here to access all relevant information about the on-line application process.
Click here to initiate an on-line application and create an account in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences Admissions System
Click here to see GSAS admission requirements
Applicant materials include:
- Application for admission
- A statement of purpose
- A writing sample (in English), preferably on a Europe-related topic
- The writing sample should be a course paper or other essay that demonstrates the student’s ability to frame a scholarly argument, discuss writings by others, and develop and support ideas with appropriate examples
- Standardized test scores
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), for international students
- Transcripts (from each postsecondary institution attended)
- Letters of recommendation (minimum of two)
- Application for Virginia In-State Educational Privileges (if applicable)
- Application Fee
Among the qualifications expected of applicants are:
- Must hold a B.A. or equivalent from an accredited university in the United States or abroad; or fufill requirements for BA/MA enrollment (For more information contact Professor Janet Horne, Director of European Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- A minimum GPA of 3.2 in undergraduate coursework
- GRE scores commensurate with historical averages in GSAS (approximately 1310 and for admitted students 1390)
- A minimum TOEFL score (all international students must submit TOEFL scores in addition to GRE scores)
- 90 for the internet-based TOEFL (with section minimums of 22 in speaking, 22 in writing, 23 in reading, and 23 in listening).
- 600 for the paper-based TOEFL; an IELTS score of 7.0 is also acceptable.
For information about tuition, fees, and financial aid, please see http://gsas.virginia.edu/funding. During their required semester of study abroad, each student will be granted a $2,500 research and travel stipend. A very limited number of Teaching Assistantships may be available for students enrolled in the European Studies MA Program.
Information for Prospective Students
Graduate Life at UVA
Life in Charlottesville
- Food writer David Lebovitz recently visted Charlottesville. See what he had so say!
- Cville loves books, film, music, theater and so much more!