Professor Janet Horne is an Associate Professor in the French Department with a courtesy joint appointment in the Corcoran Department of History. She is also the program director of UVA in Lyon.
Her current book project, a cultural history of the Aliiance Francaise, is entitled: All the World's an Empire: The Alliance Francaise and the Making of Global France.
Recent articles include:
- 'To Spread the French Language is to Extend the patrie’: The Colonial Mission of the Alliance Française.” French Historical Studies. Jan.2017
- “Laurence Wylie and the Civilizing Mission,” Contemporary French Civilization. Dec. 2016.
Areas of research and teaching interests:
- Social and Cultural History of France (19th and 20th centuries)
- Cinema, Literature and History
- Contemporary French Society and Culture
- France in Global Context
- French Colonial and Postcolonial Worlds